Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Try using an assignment calculator to help plan your time during the research process.
There There by
Call Number: F O63t 2018 or Front Desk 24-Hour Reserves
Publication Date: 2018
The story of twelve characters, Urban Indians living in Oakland, California, who converge and collide on one fateful day. As we learn the reasons that each person is attending the Big Oakland Powwow--some generous, some fearful, some joyful, some violent--momentum builds toward a shocking yet inevitable conclusion that changes everything.
- Beverly Daniel Tatum “The Complexity of Identity: ‘Who Am I?’”
- Gwyn Kirk and Margo Okazawa-Rey “Identities and Social Locations: Who Am I? Who Are My People?”
- Maurianne Adams and Ximena Zúñiga “Core Concepts for Social Justice Education”
- Bobbie Harro “The Cycle of Socialization”
- Benjamin Madley, “Understanding Genocide in California under United States Rule, 1846-1873”
- Troy Johnson, “The Relocation Program, Urban Indians, and Alcatraz”
- Lee Anne Bell “Theoretical Foundations for Social Justice Education”
- Iris Marion Young “Five Faces of Oppression”
- Sam Levin “‘This is All Stolen Land’: Native Americans Want More Than California’s Apology”
You will work on several assignments that will result in a 7-8 page research essay. You will identify a topic or issue raised in There There by Tommy Orange, find and select appropriate research to help you explore this topic or issue, and then integrate this information to develop a more informed analysis of the text. For this essay, you will focus on ONE impact of generational trauma as a lens to interpret the novel. As you choose an impact, consider one that relates to a social, political, and/or cultural issue, and relates to the larger issue of systemic oppression. You can discuss one character or several characters whichever works best to analyze the ONE impact of generational trauma you chose as your lens.
You will integrate at least SIX sources, including the novel, ONE article from the list above, FOUR sources you find through your research, including ONE of EACH of the following types of sources:
- scholarly, book length studies or articles published within such a book
- scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles
- credible, periodical articles
- credible websites or information gathered from such websites OR interview or documentary (only ONE of either type of source)
Your assignments include:
- Research Proposal - DUE Monday, October 21st
- Annotated Bibliography - DUE Monday, October 28th
- Outline - DUE Wednesday, October 30th
- Meeting with Marisol or Sabrin - DUE Tuesday, November 5th
- Draft of Essay - DUE Wednesday, November 6th
More Research and Writing Help